Jun 16, 2010

Bloomin' Great

Today is Bloomsday.

Not having read Ulysses in over a decade, much less looked through it (ironically, I left my annotated copy in Dublin), I decided it was the perfect day to pick up a copy. As I flipped through page after page of beautiful, confounding prose, I was reminded of the place writing once occupied in my life, and how my perceptions around it have changed.

It's not a higher calling to me anymore, nor is it some kind of holy act; it simply is, along with any number of other things people have a particular affinity for. I both fought and embraced the monikers of "writer" and "artist" for years, feeling, on the one hand I wasn't worthy of those titles, and, on the other, I was purely defined by them. Neither, life has shown me, is quite accurate.

And yet there's the same sense of wonder, joy, and wordless awe when I open Ulysses, just as there was way back when I first read it in the mid 1990s. The mad combination of drama, poetry, geography, and frankly... a jazz-like feeling of improvisation infuse every word in the 700+ page novel with wonder for me. It isn't polite, tidy, or precise; this is rough, edgy, coarse prose, the kind you might find your brain -much less (eeek) soul -getting cut on (badly) if you're looking for soothing respite. That's a big part of its appeal. Who wants soothing? There's yoga for that. Joyce's words are real, raw, crude, shrewd, raunchy, sad, infuriating, confusing ... and poetic. Like people. Like life.

This, of all days, feels like the right time to offer up a tribute, and I can think of no better way of saluting the book, and all of us still intoxicated by it. Yes, for real:



There's a beautiful roughness to this, without the 360 frills, that feels right for the poetic (dare I say Joycean) lyrics; the musical rawness here feels (and sounds) like the perfect dance partner for the pitbull-like aggression of the prose, and, conversely, the prose has a wild, unhinged musicality that becomes more muscular with the beefy sonic accompaniment. My first reaction when I heard this song was: Joyce. And it wasn't just the June 16th reference, either.

Words -they're not much, but they can get us through some dark times. They, like any art, don't define -they refine; the silence between syllables and the long yawning vowels become the music we understand. Writing isn't reformation but sublimation to a higher power: imagination.

"How moving the scene there in the gathering twilight, the last glimpse of Erin, the touching chime of those evening bells and at the same time a bat flew forth from the ivied belfry through the dusk, hither, thither, with a tiny lost cry. And she could see far away the lights of the lighthouses so picturesque she would have loved to do with a box of paints..."

2 comments:

Northern Star said...

Really enjoyed this, lovely writing Catherine.

Pamela said...

Beautifully written Catherine.

"Your battles inspired me - not the obvious material battles but those that were fought and won behind your forehead."
— James Joyce